02 December 2010

Homemade Sauerkraut Update

Remember how at the end of this post, I mentioned I made sauerkraut?  I tried some today and it is fermenting quite nicely.  It has taken so much longer to ferment than kimchi (because of the kind of cabbage used), but now it really smells like sauerkraut.  It tastes very mild -- I think it needs to ferment a lot more (and I think I will use more salt in the brine next time -- only I would think sauerkraut isn't salty enough!), but it is really nice. 

Sauerkraut Sammich!

I made a fried sauerkraut sandwich -- onions, paprika, and sauerkraut fried in oil or marg; best served on rye.  It was really good, although I was a little heavy-handed with the oil.  I am used to cooking for 3 and not just for myself!  ;p

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm sauerkraut! Yummo!
    One of these days I will get round to making some.
    Your sandwich looks amazing :D

    ReplyDelete