17 October 2011

Adzuki Bean Fudge (GF)


I made this fudge.  It's dairy-free, gluten-free, and low sugar.  I didn't have all the ingredients, so I made some substitutions.  I used this liquid sweetener called "Sweet Freedom"* and I skipped the spices and the salt and the stevia and subbed margarine for most of the coconut oil (I thought I had enough coconut oil, but it turned out, I only had 2 tbsp left!). 

It turned out less like fudge and more like nutella, but much much better.  I'm sure the texture would have been more fudgy if I had used a solid fat like coconut oil or shortening rather than margarine, but I was working with what I had. 
I also want to mention that the texture and flavour got better after the fudge has time to set, so don't flip out like I did and declare the fudge a failure before you've given it a chance.  When it was fresh out of the food processor, it tasted a little grainy from the adzuki bean hulls (is that the right word?), but after it had set, it was so delicious.  My kids and my husband and I gobbled it all up.

If the ingredients make that recipe look a little daunting, you could substitute peanut butter for the tahini, skip the stevia, and use a different kind of bean (I think black beans would work really nicely, although I might try it with mung beans next).  You could also sub non-hydrogenated shortening for the coconut oil, although I would try to hunt down coconut oil if I were you (I am crazy about coconuts -- I think coconut oil makes a really fabulous moisturiser, too).

Do you have a favourite dessert involving beans?  I am kind of a bean maniac, so I would love to hear about your beany adventures.

*  I always sing, "Shine sweet freedom, shine your light on me -- WOO-HOO-HOO!" when I use it.  And then I find myself absolutely in fits of giggles.

1 comment:

  1. I just made these (with almond butter and stevia subs) and am waiting for them to set.

    Cannot wait to inhale them.

    -Angela

    ReplyDelete