03 October 2011

Toddler Risotto


My kids LOVE rice.  Any kind.  And risotto is something they absolutely devour.  It's easy to sneak in lots of veggies* and some extra protein, too.  Tonight's risotto was a cheatin' risotto** -- I reconstituted a part-cooked risotto (it was on clearance!) and added some frozen spinach, shredded carrots, and onions and drizzled on Aldi's finest extra virgin olive oil.  If you look closely at the photo, you may notice something that looks kind of like a parmesan cheese -- but it's not, it's ground up sunflower seeds!  I grind them up in my (blade) coffee grinder and add them to everything from waffles to, well, risottos.  They are a great way to add a little protein and flavour. 

*  Not that I need to sneak them in -- my kids are craaazy about veggies.  So am I!
**  For a great non-cheatin' risotto, click here.

4 comments:

  1. Hurray for kids that are crazy about veggies!! And for kid-friendly meals. Looks great, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never made risotto! i think i will have to though to see if charlotte would like it considering she adores plain rice haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also never made risotto. I love the sunflower seed idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy and I have a picky toddler, so maybe she will enjoy this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete