02 September 2013

It's just a side dish: Carrots & Corn (GF)

A Simple Side Dish

"I don't really understand the point of this," my husband said, poking at the corn and shredded carrots.
"It's a side of veg!  We have country biscuits and green bean casserole,* so we needed a side of veg," I said.
"Well, it's dull."
"Hey, they can't all be zingers.  Anyway, it's not dull, it's simple."
(What can I say?  The guy is spoiled by my cooking.  Sometimes he gets carried away and acts like he's a judge and I'm a contestant on Masterchef or something and uses phrases like mouthfeel and je ne sais quoi.)
Sauté shredded carrots and sweetcorn (that's regular old 'corn' to you Yanks) in a little water.  Yes, water.  Add a wee drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some fresh rosemary.  Add a dash of salt and some black pepper.  Stir it all up.  After the carrot has started to soften, turn off the heat and let everything sit for a few minutes so your seasonings mingle a little more.  Give it one more stir and serve.

Variations on a theme: 
  • Add chili flakes
  • Instead of fresh rosemary, try cumin and maybe a pinch of coriander
  • Add finely sliced or diced onion
  • Instead of sautéing in water, toss in a little flour and fry in oil, like a wee latke or hashbrowns. 

*  Except this green bean casserole was made with Punk Rock Chick Pea Gravy (from Vegan with a Vengeance) and topped with stuffing.  I made another topped with corn flakes, olive oil, and salt.  The corn-flake topping was better, but that's because my stuffing topping was too thick and had too many ground soynuts in it.  I think a stuffing crust could work really well.


3 comments:

  1. That doesn't seem dull to me, you added chilli flakes AND diced onions. That's a fancy salad in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love about carrot and corn - I never say no (unless I am too lazy to prepare) Some days ANY side dish seems fancy - and I am a sucker for anything with a cornflake crust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chickpea gravy on the green beans is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete