03 July 2014

WTF Fennel Bulb -- Sesame Fennel Rice (GF)


I get the feeling fennel bulbs are one of those vegetables nobody knows what to do with.  You see them in the grocery store and think, "ooh, that looks fancy!" and maybe you bring it home and then the only recipes you can find for it are veggie stir fries and salads.  Which are fine, but maybe not as inspiring or original as you hoped.  I mean, turning a vegetable into a salad or stir-fry is not a big stretch of the imagination.

My husband found a pile of fennel bulbs in the reduced produce sale bin (I swear, half my posts are inspired by what my husband finds cheap at the grocery store!) and I made this dish two nights in a row, we liked it so much!

It's easy.  Thinly slice a fennel bulb (go ahead and use any fronds from it, too), and chop an onion (I used chopped ramsons, but I'm guessing they don't grow in your area) and maybe some garlic, too, toss it in a pot with some brown rice (I used about 1 cup of uncooked rice per fennel bulb, but I would usually use 1 bulb per 2 cups of rice -- the rice-to-fennel ratio is completely at your discretion), and cook it all together at once.  When everything is cooked, toss in some sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, and lime juice (again, proportions are at your discretion -- if in doubt, just use a little, taste the result, and adjust accordingly).











No comments:

Post a Comment